- Toddlers (18 months - 3 years) – Weekly lessons
- Preschool (3 - 4 years) – Weekly lessons
- Children's (school age) – Weekly lessons
All our childrens' swimming lessons run all throughout the year with the exception of 2 weeks over Christmas. FREE TRIALS are available for all toddler, preschool & school-aged children who are thinking of having lessons with us. This taster / assessment lesson will help you decide if Chessgrove is right for you and to help our teachers select the most appropriate class for the swimmer. We do not guarantee to put friends or siblings in the same class, but aim to put each swimmer in the class that most suits them, taking many factors into account including their swimming ability, age, confidence and development.
Children’s swimming lessons are taught in small classes with a focused and structured approach. We keep our class sizes small to ensure every child gets special attention, and does plenty of swimming, and our teachers are in the water during the lessons. Despite the planning and structure that goes into the lessons, we still teach in a safe, sensitive and FUN way, so that children enjoy their lessons, and are motivated to try hard.
Click here to see our timetable of all current lesson offerings.
" We are really delighted by the way our two daughters have come on over the last 6 months, they now have barrels of confidence and stamina in the pool thanks to the wonderful teaching team at Chessgrove – thankyou!" Mr and Mrs Roberts, Birmingham.
- Our teacher to pupil ratio is 4, compared with the Swim England recommendation of 12. So, we are giving 3 times more instruction in every lesson. And we get to know your child.
- Our teachers are in the water, not on the poolside. This means that we correct technique on every width / length, and individual swimmers are shown what they need to improve rather than swimming a whole length with uncorrected techniques. Practice does not always make perfect. But perfect practice does make perfect.
- We offer FREE replacement lessons. Children have busy lives with lots of opportunities, so may miss lessons due to illness, holidays, parties, school plays etc. As long as you tell us in advance that you will not be attending a lesson, then the replacement is free. Please note this is dependent on availability.
- Swimmers do not have to redo levels. We concentrate on learning to swim, not just on badges. We award badges as and when swimmers achieve each level not on a specified badge week, so we do not have a pass / fail for the course. The aim is to motivate, and not hold swimmers back if they are struggling with one or two activities for a badge. Often, they start working towards the next badge before finishing off the last one.
- All Inclusive. There are no added extras to our prices. You will not be charged extra for badges & certificates (replacements for lost or damaged items will incur a small charge), lockers, parking, drinks & biscuits.
- Our water is warm, so the children love coming and find it easier to learn to swim with their faces in.
- FREE leisure swims. During school holidays we offer extra fun sessions known as leisure swims, where children & parents alike can come along and enjoy the water together and make use of all our toys and equipment. These sessions are totally FREE for the child who has lessons with us plus one adult - other family members are also welcome for £3 per person. Please note these sessions are lifeguarded only; with no teacher present in the water.
- 10% discount off parties. If you book your child's swimming party with us you'll get a 10% discount on the flat rate amount of a swimming party for 10 children.
- 10% discount off Konfidence swimwear through their affiliate discount scheme.
Our toddler swimmers enjoy fun yet structured lessons that encourage confidence in the water and introduce and develop the basic skills and techniques to start swimming independently. Through the use of games, toys and songs, toddler swimmers soon learn to follow simple instructions from both the parent and also the teacher. We follow the Swim England Ducklings Award syllabus, which is specifically tailored to this age group of swimmers.
Children in these classes are approximately 18-36 months old and you do not need to have completed baby courses with us to join the toddler lessons.
Our pool is particularly well suited for toddlers, as the water is clear and the bottom visible, yet it is deeper than most toddler pools, so they have to swim rather than put their feet down on the pool floor.
A parent needs to be in the water with their toddler whilst in these classes. As the toddlers’ independence and water skills develop, our teachers carefully manage the transition from swimming with parents to swimming solo. Once they are happily swimming solo, toddlers will progress into our pre-school class.
Click here to go to our timetable and see when our toddler courses are running.